Re: postgresql-10.3 on unbuntu-17.10 - how?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stuart McGraw
Subject Re: postgresql-10.3 on unbuntu-17.10 - how??
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/21/2018 11:12 AM, Vincenzo Romano wrote:
>> On 03/20/2018 10:52 PM, Stuart McGraw wrote:
>[...]
>>> Is there any reason now not to conclude that the 10.3 bionic version is
>>> simply incompatible with Ubuntu-17.10 (at least without a lot more package
>>> wrangling chops than I have)?
>>>
>>> One can install postgresql-10.1 but one cannot upgrade it to get security
>>> fixes or to be able to load data dumped from another 10.3 database.
>>>
>>> Given that Ubuntu-18.04 will be out soon I guess this is pretty much moot
>>> except for a few unfortunates like me who absolutely need 10.3 but have no
>>> option to upgrade.  I guess the lesson is that running the Pgdg versions
>>> of Postgresql on any but the LTS versions of Ubuntu is pretty risky.
>>> Live and learn.  Maybe this will help someone else.
>
> I have followed more than once the exact directions from the download page:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/download/linux/ubuntu/
>
> Just pretend you are running 17.10 instead of 17.04.
>
> It simply works.

Thanks Vincenzo.  You meant "pretend you are running 17.04 instead of
17.10", yes?

I followed those directions exactly too but the results for me are that
postgresql-10.1 gets installed, not 10.3 which is what I need.

Also, just for the record, I had a version problem with postgresql-10.1
too: the libdbd-pg-perl installed with postgresql-10 and with Ubuntu
conflicted.  After a couple days of research I was able to force the
install of a compatible version which worked with both, but it definitely
wasn't "simply worked" for me.