Re: [RFC] allow 'semester' in functions EXTRACT, DATE_PART, TO_CHAR and so on. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dickson S. Guedes
Subject Re: [RFC] allow 'semester' in functions EXTRACT, DATE_PART, TO_CHAR and so on.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Friday, August 14, 2015, Dickson S. Guedes <listas@guedesoft.net> wrote:
>>

>> The term is used in a school or college to represent a half-year.
>> Actually it could be evaluated from a date using some math with
>> 'quarter' but could not be extracted from date since the API to define
>> a "reserved word" for EXTRACT is in the core, rather than in SQL.
>>

> If this is wanted a more consistent word would be "half" since we already
> accept quarter.

In your opinion: "half" or "halfyear" ?

> I quite dislike semester because of its connotations in education and the
> fact that actual semesters do not align with calendar halves.

I agree, my native language is pt_BR, and it is very common to use
"semestre" ( "semester" ), but reading some text around the Internet I
see "half-year" more often.

Thank you.
--
Dickson S. Guedes