Re: More explicit documentation neede on "pgpass" - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Geoff Michaels
Subject Re: More explicit documentation neede on "pgpass"
Date
List pgsql-docs
Thanks. I had missed the distinction between $APPDATA$ and %APPDATA%. I will assume that I will find that %APPDATA% defaults to ...\APPDATA\ROAMING.

If one is inspired to try to "idiot-proof" the documentation, one could insert the parenthetical expression "(typically \AppData\Roaming)" for those that use Windows out of the box and are directed to bonafide documentation that assumes a lot about the users.

--
Geoff Michaels, President
G. Michaels Consulting Ltd

Prod me to add more DBDOC Techniques and News

On Mon, Oct 3, 2022 at 9:11 AM Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

On Mon, Oct 03, 2022 at 01:50:26PM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/libpq-pgpass.html
>
> The subdirectory of $APPDATA$ should be stated explicitly in the
> documentation. The choices are "\AppData\Local", "\AppData\LocalLow", and
> "\AppData\Roaming". There is no good reason to make the user guess where to
> create it when the address C:\Users\geoff\AppData is known and loved (but
> obviously not the correct answer).

The documentation says %APPDATA%, not $APPDATA$.  That's a system variable
that you can use in the explorer or a command prompt, that will tell you where
it the directory on your machine (you could alternatively look at Windows
documentation to get the same answer).  It seems to have frequently changed
across Windows versions, which is why we can't document where it actually is.