Re: More explicit documentation neede on "pgpass" - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: More explicit documentation neede on "pgpass"
Date
List pgsql-docs
Hi,

On Mon, Oct 03, 2022 at 01:50:26PM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/libpq-pgpass.html
>
> The subdirectory of $APPDATA$ should be stated explicitly in the
> documentation. The choices are "\AppData\Local", "\AppData\LocalLow", and
> "\AppData\Roaming". There is no good reason to make the user guess where to
> create it when the address C:\Users\geoff\AppData is known and loved (but
> obviously not the correct answer).

The documentation says %APPDATA%, not $APPDATA$.  That's a system variable
that you can use in the explorer or a command prompt, that will tell you where
it the directory on your machine (you could alternatively look at Windows
documentation to get the same answer).  It seems to have frequently changed
across Windows versions, which is why we can't document where it actually is.