Re: Feature matrix updates - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Feature matrix updates
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sun, Jul 17, 2022 at 11:34 AM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
> In addition to adding information about new features in PostgreSQL
> 15[1][2], this version of the feature matrix adds additional  categories
> including:
>
> * Replication
> * JSON
> * Transactions and Visibility
> * VACUUM and Maintenance
> * Client Applications

Looks good, but can we remove "Autovacuum enabled by default" and
"Multiple autovacuum workers"? That would leave only "Integrated
autovacuum daemon", which seems like it covers the existence of
autovacuum in enough detail. I believe that autovacuum has existed in
more or less its current form for far longer than the total lifespan of
"autovacuum as a contrib extension". Prehistoric autovacuum just
doesn't seem like a useful point of comparison here.

There are still probably some places in the docs which imply that
autovacuum plays second fiddle to the VACUUM command, when if anything
it's really the other way around. We still have lots of problems with
the documentation of VACUUM, which I hope to get around to fixing in
the next few months.

Thanks
--
Peter Geoghegan