Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Szymon Lipiński
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
List pgsql-general

On Fri, 8 Jun 2018 at 06:01, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
On 08/06/18 14:21, Christophe Pettus wrote:
>> On Jun 7, 2018, at 02:55, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
>> The Americans often seem to act as though most people lived in the USA, therefore we should all be bound by what they think is correct!
> I have to say that this seems like a red herring to me.
Not entirely.  American web sites tend to insist on weird date format,
and insist on the archaic imperial units rather than the metric system
that most people in the world use.  There were also more cultural
clashes, long before Trump got elected.  I'm English, and I'm very aware
of the arrogance we showed when we had an Empire.  The Americans don't
seem to have learnt from the mistakes the British made.

If you selected 3 teams of 4, for each of the countries USA, France, and
Japan -- isolated each team and asked them to draw of a Code-of-Conduct,
they would clash.  Mind you, they'd probably clash if you selected 3
teams from different parts of the USA!

Morning,
I know that I haven't been writing for years, and my voice is rather not important here, but...

The Django CoC

In short: we are different, but be respectful.
A longer version: don't discriminate, be respectful, "you made a stupid mistake" instead of "you made a mistake, you are stupid", if you write/say something, and I will say that it's disrespectful, just don't repeat that.

Do you really think that different people in different countries will make something different from the above?

I know that in some countries some groups e.g. women have no rights to learn, to speak, to drive a car... but if someone will will bring this kind of attitude to a community like this one, it would be better to change it or leave, "be respectful, don't discriminate".

I'm not an English speaker, I make lots of mistakes in English, and it's quite possible that sometimes someone can feel offended by my words, as I can see no difference between bad word, and a correct one, or the correct words order. So it would be enough just to tell me that, and explain.
And the same goes the opposite way. I don't think that teams from different countries will make it in a different way.

And I'm still not sure if saying "people of color" or "black" is offensive... so just correct me, and I'm sure that will be the first thing any committee will do due to a CoC.

As for the cultural differences:

When I was working in a multinational corporation, there was an office in India. A guy was sent there to train people, and I found a document that he wrote for them about the correct behavior when they would come to the Europe. There were some funny things like "don't cook at your desk" or "be punctual", but the most important was the last point: "remember, they also don't understand you".

I think the CoC with clear guidelines is great for two things: any victim will know what to do, the committee will have a justification for its actions.

And if someone will not obey as simple CoC as "be respectful", then I'm sure 99% of people will not want to be in such a community, and the 1% will be afraid to say anything.

There was also a question if we should know about any committee actions: yes, we should, without names (for multiple reasons), I just want to know that there is something done, and any potential victim should know that something will be done.

Really, make the CoC simple. Be respectful, be nice, concentrate on stupid bugs instead of blaming authors, help, make love/code not war :)

/szymon