Re: Code of Conduct plan - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Code of Conduct plan
Date
List pgsql-general
Christophe Pettus <xof@thebuild.com> writes:
> 2. I don't think that there is a country where someone being driven out of a technical community by harassment is an
acceptablelocal value.

Yeah, this.  People that I've known and respected, and who did not seem
at all thin-skinned, have left this community because of harassment.
We need to try to stop that, not because of "political correctness",
but to ensure that our community has a long-term future.

It's not a simple thing, and I don't envy the CoC committee's task.
For instance, I hope we can all agree that sexual harassment is
unacceptable --- but I can imagine that what one person thought was
friendly banter was harassment to the other, particularly if different
cultures are involved.  The committee will likely have to sort out such
situations and try to reconcile the two people without either starting a
war or driving away either person.  They may not always succeed.  But not
trying is not a better answer.

            regards, tom lane