Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Szymon Lipiński
Subject Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"
Date
List pgsql-general

On 20 May 2016 at 22:43, Guyren Howe <guyren@gmail.com> wrote:
On May 20, 2016, at 13:38 , Pierre Chevalier Géologue <pierrechevaliergeol@free.fr> wrote:

> Le 04/05/2016 18:29, Szymon Lipiński a écrit :
>> On the other hand, when I was trying to store all my logic in a
>> database, there was just one thing that made me hate it. Testing.
>> Testing the procedures inside the database was not easy, not funny, and
>> too much time consuming.
>
> Yes, very good point.

Are there any best practices or tricks to make this easier?

I only write tests outside the database. Currently I'm involved in projects where all the logic is outside, so having tests outside is rather obvious. However I have a small toy project with logic inside the database, and tests outside. I also think that it doesn't matter where the tests are, it is important to have them, and run them. I'm not sure that tests inside are much better solution.

--
    regards Szymon Lipiński