Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Szymon Lipiński
Subject Re: Thoughts on "Love Your Database"
Date
List pgsql-general

On 21 May 2016 at 00:08, Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com> wrote:

> On May 20, 2016, at 1:43 PM, Guyren Howe <guyren@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On May 20, 2016, at 13:38 , Pierre Chevalier Géologue <pierrechevaliergeol@free.fr> wrote:
>>
>> Le 04/05/2016 18:29, Szymon Lipiński a écrit :
>>> On the other hand, when I was trying to store all my logic in a
>>> database, there was just one thing that made me hate it. Testing.
>>> Testing the procedures inside the database was not easy, not funny, and
>>> too much time consuming.
>>
>> Yes, very good point.
>
> Are there any best practices or tricks to make this easier?

In-database unit tests help. pgTap is a decent framework
for building that sort of test-suite in a way that'll play nice with
reporting and CI tools.

http://pgtap.org

Cheers,
  Steve

Yea, pgtap is an interesting solution which I used. Or tried to use. Using it was quite painful, and I gave up. Now I test the database things outside the database. Maybe there is something wrong with me, but for me it looks like me and pgtap really don't like each other.

But of course all people should check on their own.

--
    regards Szymon Lipiński