Re: postgresql history - article - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: postgresql history - article
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi Oleg

2013/5/15 Oleg Bartunov <oleg@sai.msu.su>:
> Pavel,
>
> I think the article is too wide. PostgreSQL history described very little,
> so I thought
> at first it was wrote not by old member of our community :) For example, I
> think
> that my first patch for postgres, which introduced locale support was
> important for european users, Vadim Mikheev work on MVCC was very important
> (remove time-travel
> for mvcc), nothing was written about our (me and Teodor) work on
> extendability of postgres (GiST, GIN, SP-GiST), full-text search. I think
> every developer could write a brief list of his contribution (important).
> Then we could obtain a big list, ordered by date with links to hackers. This
> list could be commented by several sentences, so
> we'll eventually have real PG history. Moreover, we could store it in one
> table and
> have online version.
>
> Oleg

sure, I am not old member :-) I started at 2004.

This article is not fully complete - I didn't find good materials
about community postgresql history - there is only mailing list and
release notes, nothing more. At time when I wrote this article, I was
fascinated older history - about academic Postgres and Ingres - and
this time is perfectly described by Stonebraker in lot of documents.
So it is clean, so strong part of this document is about this era. I
am thinking so there is relatively enough knowledges about community -
it is not too long history, but older times are little bit hidden -
probably nobody in Czech Republic has good information about Ingres
history and about relations between PostgreSQL and Informix - so It
was my primary target.

I invite, with pleasure, any notices, infos from any PostgreSQL veterans :)

Regards

Pavel

http://translate.google.cz/translate?sl=cs&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=cs&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpostgres.cz%2Fwiki%2FHistorie_projektu_PostgreSQL