Re: [HACKERS] Other formats in pset like markdown, rst, mediawiki - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Other formats in pset like markdown, rst, mediawiki
Date
List pgsql-hackers

It is question if it is really new format, because formating is the same as aligned/wrapped format, changed is only style of lines.

I know, but, both new linestyles are created literally by cloning ascii linestyle and few lines in print_aligned_text. Both works with "aligned" and "wrapped" format. In rst is wrapped format useful, in my opinion, in markdown i can`t find how I can get newline in record (maybe it is not posiible in main markdown types). So it is why i add markdown and rst as new linestyles. But it is not problem to change it in command to use "\pset format", but i mean, that this is cleaner.

Using a special linestyle for new format is possible probably. But new format should be switched with \pset format command.

Not sure if wrapped or aligned behave is correct for markdown - it is task for markdown processing, not for psql.

In this case I am inclined to prefer setting via format setting - you can set a linestyle and border in one step, and then is easy to return back to previous format. I don't see a big benefit in enhancing set of ascii linestyles. The collecting new features in formatting is more intuitive (for me).

 This can be discussed what we prefer, and what we would to implement?

1. Nice formatted markdown tables

| Tables        | Are           | Cool  |
| col 3 is      | right-aligned | $1600 |
| col 2 is      | centered      |   $12 |
| zebra stripes | are neat      |    $1 |
or 2. enough formatting

Markdown | Less | Pretty
*Still* | `renders` | **nicely**
1 | 2 | 3