Re: [patch] Proposal for \rotate in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: [patch] Proposal for \rotate in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 5 November 2015 at 05:22, Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I understand to text on wiki, the name is used for tool, that can do
> little bit more things, but it is often used for this technique (so it is
> much better than "rotate"). I don't understand well, why "crosstab" is too
> wrong name. This is pretty similar to COPY - and I know, so in first minutes
> hard to explain this difference between COPY and \copy to beginners, but
> after day of using there is not any problem.

I see constant confusion between \copy and COPY. It's a really good
reason NOT to overload other psql commands IMO.

but crosstab is one old function from old extension with unfriendly design. When we support PIVOT/UNPIVOT - the crosstab function will be obsolete. It is not often used command.

Regards

Pavel

--
 Craig Ringer                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/