Re: Performance on Bulk Insert to Partitioned Table - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Pavel Stehule
Subject Re: Performance on Bulk Insert to Partitioned Table
Date
List pgsql-performance
2012/12/27 Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>:
> On Wednesday, December 26, 2012, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>>
>> 2012/12/27 Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com>:
>> >
>> > More automated would be nice (i.e. one operation to make both the check
>> > constraints and the trigger, so they can't get out of sync), but would
>> > not
>> > necessarily mean faster.
>>

> <snip some benchmarking>
>
>> Native implementation should significantly effective evaluate
>>
>> expressions, mainly simple expressions - (this is significant for
>> large number of partitions) and probably can do tuple forwarding
>> faster than is heavy INSERT statement (is question if is possible
>> decrease some overhead with more sophisticate syntax (by removing
>> record expand).
>

> If the main goal is to make it faster, I'd rather see all of plpgsql get
> faster, rather than just a special case of partitioning triggers.  For
> example, right now a CASE <expression> statement with 100 branches is about
> the same speed as an equivalent list of 100 elsif.  So it seems to be doing
> a linear search, when it could be doing a hash that should be a lot faster.

a bottleneck is not in PL/pgSQL directly. It is in PostgreSQL
expression executor. Personally I don't see any simple optimization -
maybe some variant of JIT (for expression executor) should to improve
performance.

Any other optimization require significant redesign PL/pgSQL what is
job what I don't would do now - personally, it is not work what I
would to start by self, because using plpgsql triggers for
partitioning is bad usage of plpgsql - and I believe so after native
implementation any this work will be useless. Design some generic C
trigger or really full implementation is better work.

More, there is still expensive INSERT statement - forwarding tuple on
C level should be significantly faster - because it don't be generic.

>> So native implementation can carry significant speed up - mainly if we
>> can distribute tuples without expression evaluating (evaluated by
>> executor)
>

> Making partitioning inserts native does open up other opportunities to make
> it faster, and also to make it administratively easier; but do we want to
> try to tackle both of those goals simultaneously?  I think the
> administrative aspects would come first.  (But I doubt I will be the one to
> implement either, so my vote doesn't count for much here.)

Anybody who starts work on native implementation will have my support
(it is feature that lot of customers needs). I have customers that can
support development and I believe so there are others. Actually It
needs only one tenacious man, because it is work for two years.

Regards

Pavel