Re: Connection limit exceeded for non-superusers when there are plenty of available slots - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ned Wolpert
Subject Re: Connection limit exceeded for non-superusers when there are plenty of available slots
Date
List pgsql-general
From the docs:

"superuser_reserved_connections: Whenever the number of active concurrent
connections is at least max_connections minus
superuser_reserved_connections, new connections will be accepted only for
superusers, and no new replication connections will be accepted." (
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/runtime-config-connection.html)

So in your case, you have 480 connections for super users out of 50 total.
Its not that 20 of them are reserved for non-superusers.... so since you
have less then 480 connections available, only super users can use them.  I
don't believe postgresql cares who is currently using a connection...
rather if the number of available connections is less then what is set in
'superuser_reserved_connections', only superusers can use it. (Someone can
correct me if I'm wrong here)