Re: pg_restore: custom archiver unexpected end of file , ERROR: missing data for column - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: pg_restore: custom archiver unexpected end of file , ERROR: missing data for column
Date
List pgsql-general
On 19 June 2014 13:11, Khangelani Gama <kgama@argility.com> wrote:
>> Adrian you might be right I have just tried to pg_restore on the same
>> server(8.4.2), I get the same errors related to xml. Can someone
>> advise if the following XML file as an example is in the correct state or
>> not:
>
>  Hi all
>
> I have a question, why is that pg_dump does not fail when dumping the
> database but only fails when restoring the database?
> Dumping the database from same server and restoring it on the same server.
> Since there is data issues inside the database why is the pg_dump not
> failing as well?

Because then you wouldn't be able to get your data out of your
database once some corruption occurred. You would be forced to fix the
issue on your live database.

Now you can edit the dump and attempt to restore it until it succeeds
on a different system, after which you know for certain that your data
matches at least your integrity constraints.