Re: pg_restore: custom archiver unexpected end of file , ERROR: missing data for column - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Khangelani Gama
Subject Re: pg_restore: custom archiver unexpected end of file , ERROR: missing data for column
Date
List pgsql-general
-----Original Message-----
From: Alban Hertroys [mailto:haramrae@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2014 1:54 PM
To: Khangelani Gama
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] pg_restore: custom archiver unexpected end of file ,

On 19 June 2014 13:11, Khangelani Gama <kgama@argility.com> wrote:
>> Adrian you might be right I have just tried to pg_restore on the same
>> server(8.4.2), I get the same errors related to xml. Can someone
>> advise if the following XML file as an example is in the correct
>> state or
>> not:
>
>  Hi all
>
> I have a question, why is that pg_dump does not fail when dumping the
> database but only fails when restoring the database?
> Dumping the database from same server and restoring it on the same server.
> Since there is data issues inside the database why is the pg_dump not
> failing as well?

Because then you wouldn't be able to get your data out of your database once
some corruption occurred. You would be forced to fix the issue on your live
database.

Now you can edit the dump and attempt to restore it until it succeeds on a
different system, after which you know for certain that your data matches at
least your integrity constraints.

That makes sense to me, thanks ....Is there is an easier or better way to
edit the binary dump file? Like how I can I fix a certain row or a column of
pg_dump -Fc file? .... I am sorry I have never done this before....please
give a clue on how I can do it.

--
If you can't see the forest for the trees, Cut the trees and you'll see
there is no forest.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
The contents of and attachments to this e-mail are intended for the addressee only, and may contain the confidential
information of Argility (Proprietary) Limited and/or its subsidiaries. Any review, use or dissemination thereof by
anyone
other than the intended addressee is prohibited.If you are not the intended addressee please notify the writer
immediately
and destroy the e-mail. Argility (Proprietary) Limited and its subsidiaries distance themselves from and accept no
liability
for unauthorised use of their e-mail facilities or e-mails sent other than strictly for business purposes.