Re: pgadmin3 installation on Oracle Linux 6.6 64-bit ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alban Hertroys
Subject Re: pgadmin3 installation on Oracle Linux 6.6 64-bit ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 28 March 2015 at 02:14, Yuri Budilov <yuri.budilov@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I am new to PostgreSQL and Linux (coming across from Microsoft SQL Server).
>
> I installed PostgreSQL 9.4 on Oracle Linux 6.6 and its working ok (psql,
> etc).
> Now I try to install pgadmin3 on the same OS.
>
> I am having problems installing pdadmin3 rpms on Oracle Linux 6.6 64-bit.

I'm often somewhat surprised that people expect to have GUI tools on
database servers. Why would you really? You can connect from anywhere
using your OS of choice (or rather, the choice of your employer in
most cases) - it's perfectly fine to run pgadmin3 on Windows to
connect to a PostgreSQL database on Oracle Linux.

And why waste potential DB cycles on a graphical environment? You don't need it.
For most things it's plenty (and frequently a lot more powerful and
reliable) to have a textual user interface through a remote terminal
session over SSH or equivalent. Of course, there is a learning curve
to be able to use the UNIX (or Linux) shell and its tools - start with
'man man' if you're new ;)

That said, of course I agree that it should be possible to install
pgadmin3 on Oracle Linux if you'd want to.