Re: Is a modern build system acceptable for older platforms - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Geoff Winkless
Subject Re: Is a modern build system acceptable for older platforms
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 29 May 2018 at 11:42, Yuriy Zhuravlev <stalkerg@gmail.com> wrote:
  Is it worth spending thousands of person-hours converting what we have into something different that happens to be de rigeur, and (especially) using up many hours of our precious core developer time while they learn the new methods, while not actually gaining functionality? Also, probably not.

Unfortunately for me I have laready spend many hourse to replace build system by CMake and it's working fine for most cases (even for Power8 AIX and Spac Solaris).
Already now you can build postgres for windows without terminal at all. At least I want to find good use for this development.

There is a good use for it: you use it and are happy with it. You don't have to support any users for whom it doesn't work well, other users don't have to spend their time on it.

I appreciate that it's nice to have everyone use your code, but sometimes people don't want to. There are many projects I've spent weeks developing code for a feature that I thought was the business, only to have the maintainer and/or users say "no thanks": that's the spirit of open source. Arguing with people and telling them that they're wrong or (as you appear to be doing) that they're old and out of touch isn't going to make them any more likely to want to use your code.

I notice that you ignored the two other paragraphs of my email. I appreciate that you're finding this frustrating but selectively picking like that rarely helps a discussion progress beyond point-scoring.

Geoff​