Re: GSoD - a patch for Getting Started tutorial - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Liudmila Mantrova
Subject Re: GSoD - a patch for Getting Started tutorial
Date
List pgsql-docs
Thank you, Laurenz!

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 12:15 PM Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:
On Sun, 2019-11-17 at 00:04 +0300, Liudmila Mantrova wrote:

This is a good thing; I have seen people complain about the tutorial
(https://www.postgresql.eu/events/pgconfeu2019/schedule/session/2735-whats-wrong-with-postgres/).
I really hope that your work doesn't go to waste

I am a bit uncomfortable about having details about the workings of
binary packages for specific operating systems in the core documentation.
Maybe I'm too sensitive there, but what about having these parts in the Wiki
and linking there from the tutorial?

I also had my doubts about it, but since we are only talking about PGDG packages that the community supports, it's probably OK to have it in docs? Besides, I believe we should be consistent here - if we are hand-holding the user through the source install, we should have a description for binary install as well (which is even more useful for novices). I also think it makes the tutorial self-contained, which seems to address one of the concerns raised in the presentation you are referring to.

Quickly skimming over the text, I have two things to comment:
- The RedHat binaries use "trust" authentication by default, not "peer".

Do you mean PGDG binaries or any other binaries? For a PGDG install on e.g. RHEL 8, peer seems to be the default.
But now that you mentioned it, I realized that trust is the default for source installs and it might be worth adding, too. I'll try to tweak this part again.

- I couldn't see anything about Windows.
  I think that particularly on Windows people would need a tutorial most,
  not because Windows people are more clueless, but because things work
  differently there.  Many Windows users don't know how to start a shell.

I think we can extend it with Windows specifics if there are no other major concerns. (But it'll probably take some time for me to try it and figure out the differences. Although I know how to start a shell, I'm sure I'll face other problems. :))

--
Best regards,
Liudmila Mantrova

Technical writer at Postgres Professional: http://www.postgrespro.com