Re: GSoD - a patch for Getting Started tutorial - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: GSoD - a patch for Getting Started tutorial
Date
List pgsql-docs
On Sun, 2019-11-17 at 00:04 +0300, Liudmila Mantrova wrote:
> Some time ago I was selected to participate in Google season of docs program to update
> the introductory tutorial. Please consider the attached patch for the Getting Started part.
> Keeping the original information, i tried to make it easy to follow, as well as added
> installation steps for binary packages. I'll be glad to hear your feedback.
>
> Many thanks to Alexander Lakhin for responding to my multiple questions and verifying technical correctness.

This is a good thing; I have seen people complain about the tutorial
(https://www.postgresql.eu/events/pgconfeu2019/schedule/session/2735-whats-wrong-with-postgres/).
I really hope that your work doesn't go to waste.

I am a bit uncomfortable about having details about the workings of
binary packages for specific operating systems in the core documentation.
Maybe I'm too sensitive there, but what about having these parts in the Wiki
and linking there from the tutorial?

Quickly skimming over the text, I have two things to comment:
- The RedHat binaries use "trust" authentication by default, not "peer".
- I couldn't see anything about Windows.
  I think that particularly on Windows people would need a tutorial most,
  not because Windows people are more clueless, but because things work
  differently there.  Many Windows users don't know how to start a shell.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe