Re: Deprecating RULES - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Geoghegan
Subject Re: Deprecating RULES
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 17 October 2012 18:50, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> I don't know how many times I have to say this: people are not listening.
> Tom has already given a case for it upthread:
>

>>> Triggers necessarily operate on a row-at-a-time basis.  In theory,
>>> for at least some bulk operations, a rule could greatly outperform
>>> a trigger.  It's difficult to walk away from that - unless somebody
>>> can prove that the advantage doesn't ever accrue in practice.

Fair point. I'm just not sure that that is a good enough reason to not
deprecate rules. I mean, if experienced hackers cannot figure out if
that's actually a useful facet of rules, what hope is there for anyone
else?

--
Peter Geoghegan       http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/