Re: Deprecating RULES - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Deprecating RULES
Date
Re: Deprecating RULES  (Daniel Farina <daniel@heroku.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/17/2012 01:02 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On 10/17/2012 02:48 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
>
>> Would you or someone else be able to come up with some words of
>> caution for us to put in the manual that would be helpful to
>> developers?
>>
>> There isn't even a list of caveats for rules.
>
> I think we need the inverse. Some documentation on why to use rules
> and this basically boils down to the problem. Can anyone tell me a
> reason to use explicit rules over a trigger and function combination?

I don't know how many times I have to say this: people are not
listening. Tom has already given a case for it upthread:

>> Triggers necessarily operate on a row-at-a-time basis.  In theory,
>> for at least some bulk operations, a rule could greatly outperform
>> a trigger.  It's difficult to walk away from that - unless somebody
>> can prove that the advantage doesn't ever accrue in practice.

People can keep ignoring that if they like, but some of us won't. This
mantra of "there is no reason at all to use rules" is like climate
change denial - no matter how many times you say it that won't make it true.

cheers

andrew