Re: Postgresql in a Virtual Machine - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dong Ye
Subject Re: Postgresql in a Virtual Machine
Date
Re: Postgresql in a Virtual Machine
List pgsql-performance
On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Gudmundsson Martin (mg)
<martin.mg.gudmundsson@volvo.com> wrote:

> I would also make sure to check that the hypervisor does write to permanent storage before returning to the VM with
acknowledgement.

In the case of ESX, there is no such concern per
http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1008542.

As Heikki commented, VMware recently compared Postgres performance in
an ESX (5.1) VM versus in a comparable native Linux. We saw 1.
ESX-level locking causes no vertical scalability degradation, 2.
Memory oversubscription can indeed be a performance hazard when
consolidating mulitple Postgres VMs on one host. Yet we found moderate
memory oversubscription (up to 20%) might work out fine: we saw <5%
degradation at 20% memory oversubscription in a conventional setup
(where Postgres server uses 25% memory shared_buffers and VM uses
out-of-the-box kernel-level memory ballooning.) Nitty-gritty details
can be found in the whitepaper
http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/vPostgres-perf.pdf
(Disclaimer: I'm a author.)

As many pointed out here, storage is most likely where extra care of
capacity planning can be used when weighing putting Postgres in a VM
versus natively. Our tests (during the same period as those towards
the above observations) read: pgbench default saw ~10% degradation at
28 pgbench clients on a 32-core Intel Sandy Bridge machine; and dbt2
with zero thinking/keying/ time saw ~30% degradation at 28 dbt2
terminals on the same machine. In both cases, the regression is
gradually and increasingly more pronounced as concurrency ramps up
(starting from <5% degradation at 1 client/terminal in both cases.)

Regards,
Dong