Re: Postgresql in a Virtual Machine - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From David Kerr
Subject Re: Postgresql in a Virtual Machine
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 11:18:41AM -0800, Craig James wrote:
- On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Ben Chobot <bench@silentmedia.com> wrote:
-
- > On Nov 26, 2013, at 9:24 AM, Craig James wrote:
- >
- > So far I'm impressed by what I've read about Amazon's Postgres instances.
- > Maybe the reality will be disappointing, but (for example) the idea of
- > setting up streaming replication with one click is pretty appealing.
- >
- >
- > Where did you hear this was an option? When we talked to AWS about their
- > Postgres RDS offering, they were pretty clear that (currently) replication
- > is hardware-based, the slave is not live, and you don't get access to the
- > WALs that they use internally for PITR. Changing that is something they
- > want to address, but isn't there today.
- >
-
- I was guessing from the description of their "High Availability" option ...
- but maybe it uses something like pg-pool, or as you say, maybe they do it
- at the hardware level.
-
- http://aws.amazon.com/rds/postgresql/#High-Availability
-
-
- "Multi-AZ Deployments – This deployment option for your production DB
- Instances enhances database availability while protecting your latest
- database updates against unplanned outages. When you create or modify your
- DB Instance to run as a Multi-AZ deployment, Amazon RDS will automatically
- provision and manage a “standby” replica in a different Availability Zone
- (independent infrastructure in a physically separate location). Database
- updates are made concurrently on the primary and standby resources to
- prevent replication lag. In the event of planned database maintenance, DB
- Instance failure, or an Availability Zone failure, Amazon RDS will
- automatically failover to the up-to-date standby so that database
- operations can resume quickly without administrative intervention. Prior to
- failover you cannot directly access the standby, and it cannot be used to
- serve read traffic."
-
- Either way, if a cold standby is all you need, it's still a one-click
- option, lots simpler than setting it up yourself.
-
- Craig

The Multi-AZ deployments don't expose the replica to you unless there is a
failover. (in which case it picks one and promotes it)

There is an option for "Create Read Replica" but it's currently not available so
we can assume that will eventually be an option.