Re: LibreOffice Base Connect to postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Mike
Subject Re: LibreOffice Base Connect to postgresql
Date
List pgsql-novice
Mr. Carnes,

Thank you for the thoughtful reply.
Grabbing the postgresql-jdbc driver and will give it a try.
I like the looks of SQL Workbench and will need to follow up with this too.

Kind regards,

Mike

On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Carnes, Richard
<Richard.Carnes@wolterskluwer.com> wrote:
> I believe using LibreOffice Base, it is specifically connecting via JDBC.  You will need a JDBC driver for PG which
youcan find here:
> http://jdbc.postgresql.org
>
> JDBC connection string should be
> jdbc:postgresql://localhost:5432/joe
> Connection string format is as follows:
> protocol:driver://(ip/host):(port)/(db)
>
> Maybe this page would be worth a read:
> http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/archives/8-Using-OpenOffice-Base-2.3.1-with-PostgreSQL.html
>
> As for recommending a management app, I would have to say give pgadmin a try.  I'm not a fan of pgadmin 4, but with
thenewer versions of PG, pgadmin 3 is getting less and less compatible since 9.2+.

> Other UIs which I would say work well are Squirrel SQL and SQL Workbench, both of these depend on a JDBC driver also
wherePG Admin does not.

> Richard Carnes

baseto connect to, and query postgres databases.

> I have a very simple database.
> It resides on my notebook computer running Fedora 27.
> postgres --version
> postgres (PostgreSQL) 9.6.6
>
> The name of the database is "joe" and it owned by user "joe."
>
> I open libreoffice base and use the database wizard.
> I choose Connect To An Existing Database and from the drop-down menu choose "PostgresSQL" and click NEXT.
> Then, under Connection Settings, I type in - postgresql://localhost:5432/home/joe and click NEXT.
> Then I provide the user authentication - User Name:  joe
>
> I then click FINISH and always receive error ---
>
> The connection to the data source "New Database" could not be established.
> Couldn't establish database connection to 'sdbc:postgresql:postgresql://localhost:5432/home/joe
> FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "joe"
>
> However, joe is a configured user and owner of database "joe."
> I'm simply stuck and can't figure out the cause of the failed authentication.
> Is there a better/simpler/easier app I can use or try to connect to, and manage this postgres database.
> I want to expand it and rely more heavily on it, but cannot do all my select, update, and insert via psql interface
---I constantly have to rely on cheat sheets and command history scrolling.
> Got to be a better way.
>
> Thank you for reading.
>
> Mike

> Confidentiality Notice: This email and its attachments (if any) contain confidential information of the sender. The
informationis intended only for the use by the direct addressees of the original sender of this email. If you are not
anintended recipient of the original sender (or responsible for delivering the message to such person), you are hereby
notifiedthat any review, disclosure, copying, distribution or the taking of any action in reliance of the contents of
andattachments to this email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately
notifythe sender at the address shown herein and permanently delete any copies of this email (digital or paper) in your
possession.