Re: Re: [pgsql-www] We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Brendan Jurd
Subject Re: Re: [pgsql-www] We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA
Date
Re: Re: [pgsql-www] We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA  (Markus Wanner <markus@bluegap.ch>)
Re: Re: [pgsql-www] We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA  (Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr>)
Re: Re: [pgsql-www] We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA  (Martin Pitt <mpitt@debian.org>)
List pgsql-pkg-debian
This may be a daft question to ask at this point in the discussion,
but what does apt.postgresql.org buy us that a PPA doesn't?

If the concern is to have Debian/Ubuntu packaging that has an
"official" project flavour, as opposed to Martin's "personal" package
archive, why don't we just set up a "postgres" PPA or similar?

If it's important to have apt.postgresql.org for other reasons, then
maybe the "postgres" PPA could be built from apt.p.o?

I guess I just don't understand why in Zeus' beard we would move away
from the PPA arrangement.  It is super convenient, and as others have
pointed out, it's what Ubuntu users expect to do when they need
something to be more up-to-date than the standard distro package.  If
apt.p.o carried with it some enormous advantage then that would be
okay, but reading back through the thread I'm not sure anyone has
articulated such.

Cheers,
BJ