Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, Jan 11, 2016 at 3:42 PM, FarjadFarid(ChkNet)
<farjad.farid@checknetworks.com> wrote:

Five days (and I don't know how many posts) ago, there was this:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20160106184818.GT21041@crankycanuck.ca

Which said in part:

> The other thing I note is that the IETF got
> most of these documents because someone thought the problem was
> important enough to write a draft proposal first.  As I said in a
> recent IETF plenary, the organization works partly because at the IETF
> you don't need anyone's permission to try something; you don't even
> need forgiveness.  The worst that can happen is that people reject the
> proposal.  It always seemed to me that the Postgres project worked in
> a similar way, so I'd encourage those who think there is a problem to
> be solved to make a scratch proposal and see whether it flies.  It's
> always easier to discuss a concrete proposal than to try to figure out
> whether something is a good idea in the abstract.

I'm going to give this a belated +1, and ignore any further posts on
this thread.

If someone wants to take the step of posting a concrete proposal,
please start a new thread with a different subject line.

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com