Re: sslcompression / PGSSLCOMPRESSION not behaving as documented? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shulgin, Oleksandr
Subject Re: sslcompression / PGSSLCOMPRESSION not behaving as documented?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 11:37 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 10:34 AM, Maciek Sakrejda <maciek@heroku.com> wrote:
> Thanks, everyone. That seems to be it. I still haven't gotten it to work (I
> tried setting OPENSSL_DEFAULT_ZLIB=true in
> /etc/postgresql/9.2/main/environment and restarting the server, then adding
> the same env var when connecting with the client), but now that I know where
> the problem is, I think I can work through it.

Did you ever get it to work on Ubuntu?  If so, what did you have to do?

OPENSSL_DEFAULT_ZLIB doesn't seem to do anything on Ubuntu 14.04.  It
is suggested it should work on earlier versions
(http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-1898-1/) but there is no mention of it
on newer versions.

I can confirm that this env var has the expected effect on Ubuntu 12.04, but newer versions such 14.04 come with OpenSSL complied without zlib altogether, so there is no way to enable this short of recompiling the openssl lib, unfortunately.

--
Alex