Re: Allow to_date() and to_timestamp() to accept localized names - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Juan José Santamaría Flecha
Subject Re: Allow to_date() and to_timestamp() to accept localized names
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 5:21 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 2020-Jan-28, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> On 2020-01-28 04:05, Mark Dilger wrote:
> > German uses both Sonnabend and Samstag for Saturday, so don’t you have to compare to a list of values anyway?
>
> Yeah, good point.  If it doesn't accept both "Sonnabend" and "Samstag", then
> it's not really usable.

The string "Sonnabend" never appears in the glibc sources, so that will
certainly not work.  I vote not to care about that, but of course my
language is not one that has alternate weekday/month names.  I guess if
we're intent on recognizing alternate names, we'll have to build our own
list of them :-(

I don't have the ICU sources here to check the status there.

"Sonnabend" is neither available in ICU.

What is available are both genitive and nominative forms for months, as reported up thread by Peter. See formats "M" and "L" in:

Regards,

Juan José Santamaría Flecha