Re: Allow to_date() and to_timestamp() to accept localized names - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Allow to_date() and to_timestamp() to accept localized names
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2020-Jan-28, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> On 2020-01-28 04:05, Mark Dilger wrote:
> > German uses both Sonnabend and Samstag for Saturday, so don’t you have to compare to a list of values anyway?
>
> Yeah, good point.  If it doesn't accept both "Sonnabend" and "Samstag", then
> it's not really usable.

The string "Sonnabend" never appears in the glibc sources, so that will
certainly not work.  I vote not to care about that, but of course my
language is not one that has alternate weekday/month names.  I guess if
we're intent on recognizing alternate names, we'll have to build our own
list of them :-(

I don't have the ICU sources here to check the status there.