Re: remove pg_standby? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: remove pg_standby?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 7:48 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
> On 11/10/2014 07:50 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>

>> On 11/04/2014 01:36 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>>

>>> While we're talking about removing old things, is there any use left for
>>> pg_standby?
>>

>> -1.
>>
>> A lot of people, a lot of customers use log shipping for various
>> creative and business requirement setups.
>

> Yes, but do they use pg_standby to implement it? If they do, why?
>
> pg_standby is more configurable than the built-in standby_mode=on. You can
> set the sleep time, for example, while standby_mode=on uses a hard-coded
> delay of 5 s. And pg_standby has a configurable maximum wait time. And as
> Fujii pointed out, the built-in system will print an annoying message to the
> log every time it attempts to restore a file. Nevertheless, 99% of users
> would probably be happy with the built-in thing.

As long as pg_standby has features that are actually useful and that
are not in the built-in system, we shouldn't remove it. We should,
however, try to fix those in the main system so we can get rid of it
after that :)