Re: remove pg_standby? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: remove pg_standby?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/10/2014 07:50 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On 11/04/2014 01:36 PM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>>
>> While we're talking about removing old things, is there any use left for
>> pg_standby?
>
> -1.
>
> A lot of people, a lot of customers use log shipping for various
> creative and business requirement setups.

Yes, but do they use pg_standby to implement it? If they do, why?

pg_standby is more configurable than the built-in standby_mode=on. You
can set the sleep time, for example, while standby_mode=on uses a
hard-coded delay of 5 s. And pg_standby has a configurable maximum wait
time. And as Fujii pointed out, the built-in system will print an
annoying message to the log every time it attempts to restore a file.
Nevertheless, 99% of users would probably be happy with the built-in thing.

- Heikki