Re: Commit emails to -committers - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Commit emails to -committers
Date
List pgsql-www
On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 3:30 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>
> > I have gotten email from
> > Stephen Frost <notifications@github.com>
> > so it seems it's accepted in other parts to do it this way.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if Stephen is objecting precisely because of
> unpleasant experience with that github "feature".

FWIW, Alvaro is the one who was doing the complaining...

> (My wife constantly complains about how Apple Mail will try to
> auto-complete To: with random addresses it finds somewhere in her
> mail folder, so I can believe there's a real issue there.)

Yeah, and gmail (being probably by far the most common client used)
also auto-learns those things.

For that reason I'd lean towards having something just be "PostgreSQL
commits <noreply@postgresql.org>" and not put the name in there at all
-- the name would of course go in the body.

Another option we could go with would be to have the email sender be
"Stephen Frost <sfrost@postgresql.org>", since we have by policy been
giving all committers such an email address. We'd need to add the
ability to do that mapping into the commit message script as it
doesn't have it right now, but it would be doable. And of course, it
would suddenly make it more important for committers to ensure that
this forwarder or mailbox actually works.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/