Re: Broken linkparsing in archives - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Broken linkparsing in archives
Date
List pgsql-www
On Wed, Nov 2, 2022 at 1:52 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
> On 2 Nov 2022, at 13:39, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> And I'm not sure they *should* be considered, since the mime type of the body isn't markdown...

For emails sent as text to -announce, sure.  But.  Since we support markdown
formatting in news postings that go out to -announce, it seems a bit unhelpful
to generate broken links for all those posts.

I agree with the principe, but the question is how reliable we can make it. (One oculd also argue we *should* post those as text/markdown, but I fear that will break even more MUAs).

If I can come up with a filter that converts a broken link from urlize for the
known case of markdown links, would that be an accepted solution?

If it can be made reliable, I think that would be acceptable. It needs to be validated that it works in the full chain that we use on the site (we also include the silly obfuscation of email addresses in the filter chain), but as long as that's done I think we can and should do it.