Re: Switch pg_basebackup to use -X stream instead of -X fetch by default? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Switch pg_basebackup to use -X stream instead of -X fetch by default?
Date
Re: Switch pg_basebackup to use -X stream instead of -X fetch by default?
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 25, 2014 at 1:35 PM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> currently pg_basebackup uses fetch mode when only -x is specified -
> which imo isn't a very good thing to use due to the increased risk of
> not fetching everything.
> How about switching to stream mode for 9.5+?

I think the original reasons were to not change the default behaviour
with a new feature, and secondly because defaulting to -X requires two
replication connections rather than one.

I think the first reason is gone now, and the risk/damage of the two
connections is probably smaller than running out of WAL. -x is a good
default for smaller systems, but -X is a safer one for bigger ones. So
I agree that changing the default mode would make sense.