Re: Switch pg_basebackup to use -X stream instead of -X fetch by default? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Switch pg_basebackup to use -X stream instead of -X fetch by default?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 8/26/14 12:40 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> I think the first reason is gone now, and the risk/damage of the two
> connections is probably smaller than running out of WAL. -x is a good
> default for smaller systems, but -X is a safer one for bigger ones. So
> I agree that changing the default mode would make sense.

I would seriously consider just removing one of the modes.  Having two
modes is complex enough, and then having different defaults in different
versions, and fuzzy recommendations like, it's better for "smaller
systems", it's quite confusing.

I don't think it's a fundamental problem to say, you need 2 connections
to use this feature.  (For example, you need a second connection to
issue a cancel request.  Nobody has ever complained about that.)