Re: log_destination - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: log_destination
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 11:37 AM, Christoph Berg <cb@df7cb.de> wrote:
> Re: Andres Freund 2013-03-06 <20130306102405.GL13803@alap2.anarazel.de>
>> Both pg_ctl and the logging collector seem to open files in O_APPEND
>> mode. So - provided we could figure out the correct filename - they
>> could just log to the same file.
>
> Probably impossible with %y-%m-%d style log files, because of the
> variable filename as such, and you will still get a stale/later unused
> fd pointing at the -l file after log switch.
>
> One solution could be not to use -l at all, which has the advantage
> that you get "I can't start" type errors at the console instead of the
> misleading "Server starting" message while in fact there are fatal
> errors waiting for you in the log. (On the other hand, you will
> probably still want a log file for those in non-interactive startups.)

The RPMs use a separate "startup.log" (I think that's what it's called
- or at least something similar). While not ideal, I think that's a
fairly reasonable workaround for that issue. Startup issues aren't
that common - and it's not unreasonable to look in "startup.log" if
things don't start, I think...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/