Re: log_destination - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Christoph Berg
Subject Re: log_destination
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Re: Andres Freund 2013-03-06 <20130306102405.GL13803@alap2.anarazel.de>
> Both pg_ctl and the logging collector seem to open files in O_APPEND
> mode. So - provided we could figure out the correct filename - they
> could just log to the same file.

Probably impossible with %y-%m-%d style log files, because of the
variable filename as such, and you will still get a stale/later unused
fd pointing at the -l file after log switch.

One solution could be not to use -l at all, which has the advantage
that you get "I can't start" type errors at the console instead of the
misleading "Server starting" message while in fact there are fatal
errors waiting for you in the log. (On the other hand, you will
probably still want a log file for those in non-interactive startups.)

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/