Re: Website stylesheet for local docs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Website stylesheet for local docs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 04:37, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 7:54 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> I've asked for this a few times before, but it seems others aren't as
>> keen on it as me :-) Personally, I find the docs easier to read when
>> formatted with the new website styles that Thom put together, and I
>> also like to see things the way they're going to look when they go up
>> there.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> Attached patch makes it possible to say "make STYLE=website" for the
>> docs, which will then simply replace the stylesheet reference with one
>> that goes to fetch docs.css on the website.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to include the stylesheet in our tree, if we're
> going to depend on it?

Probably, I just took the easiest route. That way it gets updated as
well. And since it was an optional feature. And since that stylesheet
depends on other stylesheets which depend on images etc, with some
fairly fixed paths in them...

>> I'm not suggesting we
>> change the default or anything, just making it reasonably easy to get
>> it done for one-off builds.
>
> Why not change the default?  Does anyone really prefer the bare bones
> doc output?

Yes, Peter made a point about preferring that back when we changed the
developer docs to be on the main website (how it got worse but at
least he could work on his local build).

But it would be easy enough to flip the switch and instead have a make
STYLE=light or something like that...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/