Re: sudo inconsistencies in download pages - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: sudo inconsistencies in download pages
Date
List pgsql-www
On Mon, Nov 2, 2020 at 9:53 AM Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 5:40 PM Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:

>> > Can't see a reason not to include it on the Red Hat side.
>>
>> +1. Doing a scan of other projects, it seems to be acceptable to include
>> "sudo" as part of providing installation instructions.
>

> Does sudo work out of the box on CentOS/RHEL 6? Otherwise I don't see a problem with it.

It doesn't necessarily work out of the box on Debian or Ubuntu either,
it depends on what your starting point is.

For example, any of the minimal images that are popular these days
because of containers won't have sudo on debian, ubuntu *or* centos.
Whereas I think most/all cloud images do.

AFAIK it's in the default "standard" installs on RedHat since 7. For
Debian since 9. I believe Ubuntu has had it longer.

Maybe the fact that container images don't have it would actually be
an argument to remove it from the debian instructions rather than add
it to the redhat ones. But our target with these specific instructions
are probably more the "traditional server installs" anyway?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: https://www.hagander.net/