Re: Getting to 9.3 beta - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Getting to 9.3 beta
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 4:05 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Our final 9.3 commit-fest has has exceeded the two-month mark, so it is
>> time to start targeting a date to close it and get to 9.3 beta.  I see
>> 25 items will needing attention before we can close it:
>
>>       https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view?id=17
>
>> What is a reasonable timeframe to target for completion of these items?
>
> TBH, once Andrew commits the JSON patch, I wouldn't have a problem with
> moving all the rest to Returned With Feedback or the next CF.  None of
> the others seem to me to be close-to-committable (with the possible
> exception of the Max LSN patch, which I've not looked at), and April is
> not the time to be doing development.

I haven't looked through too many of them. as for the one I have on
there myself, the pg_retainxlog one, i think the consensus was to turn
it into a documentation patch - and we can keep adding doc patches
into beta.

But, to the point. It might be a decent starting point to at least
move all patches that are "waiting on author" and doesn't get almost
daily status updates (or has a very clear statement from the author on
when an update can be expected). That'll cut the list down quite a bit
I think, and should make it easier to push harder on the others
perhaps.

> Next week is going to be tied up with the back-branch releases, but
> maybe we could target beta for the week after?  The main gating factor
> at this point really would be how quickly we could write some draft
> release notes, so people know what to test.

I think we need to give it at least one more week before we can target
a beta. Packagers will if anything have *more* work to deal with these
backbranch releases than usual, and asking them to push another one
just one (or even two) weeks after that would be rushing it
unnecessarily...

Of course, that doesn't prevent from starting work on the release
notes meanwhile :)