Re: RFC: New log_destination 'fifo' - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: RFC: New log_destination 'fifo'
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 9:55 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> So it is possible to do this in other ways but I thought it might be
> interesting to allow people to define fifo or pipe as a log_desination. This
> would allow a person to tail the fifo to receive the outputs of the log as
> it happens but would not take up precious IO or space from the disk. I
> personally have found this valuable when diagnosing immediate unexpected
> problems. It would also work on Windows.

This is something that has been discussed before a couple of times.
I've even gotten started on an implementation at one point, though in
fairness I didn't get much past "git branch".

I definitely think it would be a useful thing.

--Magnus HaganderMe: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/