Re: Policy query: sponsor endorsements - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Policy query: sponsor endorsements
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, Aug 27, 2014 at 12:57 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> For the 9.4 release press kit, I'm planning to have quotes/endorsements
> from several sponsors of the work which went into 9.4, particularly
> JSONB and BDR/LC.  Part of this is making sure we fulfill some sponsor
> credit requirements (i.e. EngineYard),

I'm sorry, but who's requirements? Certainly postgresql.org did not
sign any deals requiring such things? And if it was just individual
developers, they *really* should check such things *before* entering
into such a deal, no?

> and partly it's to show corporate support.

That is, of course, important.

> My concern is that obviously we can't take endorsements from every
> company with staff who did signifcant work on 9.4., or the press kit
> would be 50 pages long.  It is going to be a mess if I'm just featuring
> the JSONB, and BDR/LC sponsors?

Yes. What about the companies that invest full or part time staff all
the time. Do they get mentioned in every press kit? If not, why is
their work less important?

I think it's better to stick to the previous way of having "users"
endorse the feature itself. The people who developed it are credited
in the release notes, not the press kit.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/