Re: Bogus duplicate-message complaints from PG mail lists - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Bogus duplicate-message complaints from PG mail lists
Date
List pgsql-www
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 9:45 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Several times over the past couple of days, I have gotten complaints
> like the one attached about duplicate message IDs.  I can see from my
> sendmail daemon's log that I sent only one copy of this, and the
> complaint is dated about twenty minutes after the fact, so I'm pretty
> sure the duplicate is not of my making.
>
> Usually when I get this type of thing I can tell from the Received:
> lines that it's the fault of some list subscriber's MUA re-submitting
> a message to the lists.  But the Received: lines in this example and
> the last couple don't show that the message has gone anywhere outside
> postgresql.org.  So I'm thinking it's a recently-introduced glitch in
> the mail list server arrangements.

Hi!

Stefan and Alvaro were looking into this earlier, and it looks like a
weird networking issue that we've had for a couple of days into one of
our hosting boxes. Exactly what it's coming from is unknown at this
point, but it seems to soimetimes cause a connection drop - which yet
more sometimes happens in a position where the sending box never gets
the acknowledgement that tht email was sent - and thus retries.

Hopefully the ycan add some more details to the discussion, but I
wanted to throw out a quick "yeah, confirmed, we've seen something is
afoot" message.

--Magnus HaganderMe: http://www.hagander.net/Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/