Re: [HACKERS] Removing binaries (was: createlang/droplang deprecated) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Removing binaries (was: createlang/droplang deprecated)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 1:44 PM, Andreas Karlsson <andreas@proxel.se> wrote:
On 03/18/2017 09:12 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
createdb, dropdb - also not clear they're about postgres, more likely to
be used by mistake but not that bad. That said, do they add any *value*
beyond what you can do with psql -c "CREATE DATABASE"? I don't really
see one, so I'd suggest dropping these too.

The value they add is that they quote the database name and options correctly which makes them easier to use safely and reliably in shell scripts. And unless I am missing something obvious I do not think there is any easy way for a beginner to do this with just psql.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I guess I just generally make sure I don't use names that require quoting myself, but I can definitely see how that's an actual value-add.