Re: Monitoring Pg servers with Microsoft SCOM - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Monitoring Pg servers with Microsoft SCOM
Date
List pgsql-general

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 3:15 AM, Glen Eustace <geustace@godzone.net.nz> wrote:

On 5/05/2014, at 12:26 pm, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:

> On 05/04/2014 04:17 PM, Glen Eustace wrote:
>> I am in the process of deploying Microsoft System Centre Operations
>> Manager and was hoping that somebody had either developed or knew of
>> where I could get hold of a management pack for PostgreSQL.
>>
>> I am not sure whether there is an instrumentation interface into the DB
>> so haven't yet looked at rolling our own.
>>
>> Any comments appreciated.
>
> Searches on this all seem to point back to this post:
>
> http://blogs.technet.com/b/kevinholman/archive/2012/03/19/opsmgr-how-to-monitor-non-microsoft-sql-databases-in-scom-an-example-using-postgre-sql.aspx

Yes, I had seen that.  I was more interested in being able to instrument the Pg internals, connection counts, transaction rates, RAM usage etc.  In a similar sort of way to MS-SQL.

Running transactions against an individual DB is still useful but I was hoping to do better.

As long as you can run arbitrary SQL, you can get all the information out. Assuming it can do something with it rather than just run a plain query. If so, I suggest you take a look at the check_postgres nagios plugin or the munin plugins for some examples of which SQL to run to get the interesting metrics back that you want. Some quick googling shows several examples of how to monitor with custom SQL queries, but I don't know enough (or anything) about SCOM to recommend any of them in particular.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/