Re: archive not showing all attachements - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: archive not showing all attachements
Date
List pgsql-www

On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 8:48 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On 2022-03-26 18:41:39 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> MIME parsing in general is black magic, but in this case it seems pretty
>> clear that showing it as an attachment is plain wrong. Not showing it at
>> all, however, is also wrong, but I'm not sure how much complexity it's worth
>> to handle this case, given it's the first time I've heard of the problem.

> I'm not sure we'd really notice. I dimly recall encountering something like
> this before and somebody else complaining about it.

I've definitely seen other cases where the archives fail to show a portion
of a message that I can see by other means.  Whether this particular
mechanism was the cause, I can't say of course.

I recall an example recently [ digs... ] ah, here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/7f6fabaa-3f8f-49ab-89ca-59fbfe633105@me.com

There is a patch in there, but it looks like the boundary line
for the preceding section might be messed up?

Oh, there's definitely emails it mis-parses, just not for this reason. In your example for example, the problem is the one where the attachment is only attached to the HTML part and not the text part (and not the email itself), and we don't show the HTML part. Which is a known, but different, case.