Re: "RETURNING PRIMARY KEY" syntax extension - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jochem van Dieten
Subject Re: "RETURNING PRIMARY KEY" syntax extension
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 2:39 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
I'm not even 100% sold that automatically returning the primary key
is going to save any application logic.  Could somebody point out
*exactly* where an app is going to save effort with this type of
syntax, compared to requesting the columns it wants by name?

I haven't checked the code, but I am hoping it will help with the problem where a RETURNING * is added to a statement that is not an insert or update by the JDBC driver. That has been reported on the JDBC list at least twice, and the proposed workaround is neither very elegant nor very robust: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/pgsql.interfaces.jdbc/7WY60JX3qyo/-v1fqDqLQKwJ

Jochem

--
Jochem van Dieten
http://jochem.vandieten.net/