Re: Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Pavan Deolasee
Subject Re: Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 7:27 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 30, 2017 at 6:37 AM, Pavan Deolasee
<pavan.deolasee@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think we can fix that by comparing compressed values.  I know you had
> raised concerns, but Robert confirmed that (IIUC) it's not a problem today.

I'm not sure that's an entirely fair interpretation of what I said.
My point was that, while it may not be broken today, it might not be a
good idea to rely for correctness on it always being true.

I take that point. We have a choice of fixing it today or whenever to support multiple compression techniques. We don't even know how that will look like and whether we will be able to look at compressed data and tell whether two values are compressed by exact same way.

Thanks,
Pavan