Re: Installer for PgAdmin4, v6.10 - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Caughey
Subject Re: Installer for PgAdmin4, v6.10
Date
List pgadmin-support
It doesn't even install, which is actually good, because in v6.3 pgAdmin updated the dependency on python (IIRC) to a version that no longer runs on Windows 7, whereupon pgAdmin thinks it installed correctly, but you can't actually use it.  So in v6.4, a check was added to prevent pgAdmin from installing and leaving you dead in the water.  I.e., it's not that pgAdmin's refusal to install v6.4+ is an arbitrary decision, it actually protects you from being screwed.  Luckily I was able to revert to v6.2.

I would love for pgAdmin to support Windows 7 by possibly supporting legacy versions of python, but as someone running a software business, I can understand why the team doesn't want to jump through hoops to support an OS that even Microsoft has totally abandoned. It's not the pgAdmin's team responsibility to accommodate my choice to use obsolete (and unsafe) technology.

Yes, I really should update to Windows 10 (I doubt Windows 11 would install on my older hardware), but I'm lazy and I figure that if my development system still runs fine on Windows 7 then I've got other higher-priority work issues to deal with... so I live with being stuck at v6.2.

Cheers,
Dave